The Role in Brief:
The Education Advisory Board is the firm’s higher education practice, with membership programs serving Chief Academic Officers, Chief Business Officers, Student Affairs Executives and Community College Presidents at institutions in the United States, Canada and the U.K. We are seeking problem solvers to join our team, who are passionate about research, strategy, and higher education.
This Consultant will work within the firm’s best practice research program serving college and university CIOs. One of EAB’s fastest growing memberships, the IT Forum advises more than 200 CIOs on problems and issues ranging from data integration strategy to campus cybersecurity.
Our current opportunity is based in Washington D.C.
Study cycles, from conception to completion, range from four to six months for smaller studies to approximately nine months for the largest, most complex studies. Consultants are responsible for executing against those agendas across the year. Consultants assume an integral role in moving the substance of major research studies forward and provide intellectual leadership within teams. Consultants provide analytical direction and guidance throughout all stages of the development process, working through extensive primary and secondary research, hypothesis generation and testing, rigorous analysis of findings and the final presentation of ideas.
Key skills developed in the Consultant role include the following:
- Strategic and root cause analysis
- Mastery of the given higher education terrain (IT)
- Inductive and deductive reasoning
- Hypothesis generation
- Ability to formulate and defend original points of view
- Synthesis of complex ideas
- Persuasive writing
- Effective use of graphics and visuals to communicate ideas and information
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent academic record
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with at least two of the following:
- Conducting long-term research (at least 3 months in duration)
- Conducting primary and secondary research
- Demonstrated interest in higher education
- Writing in-depth reports in a professional setting
- Analyzing business issues
- Advanced degree in instructional technology, computer science, engineering, education, liberal arts, sciences, or business (e.g., M.A., M.S., Ph.D., M.Ed., M.S.E., M.B.A.)
- Experience working in the educational technology industry, researching issues in this space, or advising educational institutions on matters relevant to IT
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior executives in both oral and written formats
- Experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Experience with solution focused problem solving and thinking through problems creatively
- Experience working with clients in a consultative role
About Education Advisory Board
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,100+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value. For more information, visit www.eab.com.
We are a workplace that...
Values and celebrates diversity of experience, culture, and opinion
Is committed to creating an inclusive environment to enhance our collective experience
Promotes a supportive community through staff-led affinity groups, events, and education?
Our Culture & Values:
We think Forbes said it best: “Making the world a better place is what The Advisory Board Company is all about.” We have a unique culture where employees are told to avoid after work emails, encouraged to take 10 hours per month of paid leave for community service, and are expected to add surplus value in every interaction with a member or colleague.
Over the past thirty years, we have developed a distinctive corporate culture based on our values and principles. We award, promote, and praise based on individual performance, capabilities, and ambition. We provide ways for staff to share their time, talent, and passions in the community. We reward innovation and foster a collaborative environment. We have a performance-driven staff and peers that challenge one another in the workplace. And we want free-thinkers, agile speakers, witty writers, and team players to join the firm – at Advisory Board, your ideas are heard and your contributions matter.
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, The Advisory Board Company offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- 20+ days paid time off and 10+ paid company holidays
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
The Advisory Board Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.