The global privacy team, which currently consists of nine full-time lawyers, sits within a global legal and compliance team of over 200 lawyers. This is a growing team and we expect the global team to exceed 15 lawyers by end of 2018. The candidate will work closely with client sales and delivery teams but also with the Corporate Security team, Internal Audit and Human Resources. This role will involve daily exposure to Cognizant's clients and senior management.
Privacy in Cognizant is not merely an internal compliance issue; Cognizant's core business is helping our clients transform in a digital world. A fundamental pillar of any digital journey is privacy, therefore, Cognizant's privacy team plays a critical role in developing new services and products, at the cutting edge of how privacy law is lived on a global basis. This provides a unique opportunity for a talented, practical and commercially-minded privacy professional to be a part of a growing and dynamic team working on some of the most challenging and diverse projects available in any company.
What would this role entail?
The Data Privacy Counsel will have be involved in the coordination and management of data privacy issues across Cognizant's global operations where there is a European impact or aspect, both driving understanding of European privacy requirements and liaising with global colleagues upon the application of compliance requirements of the wider organization (such as the application of US or foreign data privacy and security laws).
A key aspect of this role will be in developing responses to and planning for GDPR as it impacts both Cognizant internally and its clients. Although this role will be part of the privacy team, all of our lawyers work very closely with Cognizant's legal teams located in across the globe. The Data Privacy Counsel will collaborate with local (outside) counsel as required on issues of local law and practice.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Providing strategic advice and direction on European privacy issues across the organization
- Providing legal compliance support and advice to business and legal teams, including the application of European privacy legislation & regulations
- Driving, developing and implementing global privacy activities, projects and strategies
- Management of key stakeholders to ensure their support of and alignment with the global privacy programme's objectives and requirements
- Monitoring developments in regulatory and legislative change and best practice and advising the wider organization on necessary organizational changes required
- Driving awareness and accountability throughout the organization toward greater business transparency and reinforcing trust from customers, business partners and consumers
- Proactively identifying, evaluating and managing risks in a way that enables the organisation to deliver sustainable business growth
- Reviewing and negotiating customer contracts and responding to customer privacy questionnaires and audits
- Drafting, developing, implementing and maintaining Cognizant's privacy policies, procedures, notices and guidelines and those of individual clients
- Instructing and managing outside counsel on issues of local law and practice
- Designing, developing, co-ordinating and delivering comprehensive DP training programmes on the European and global privacy regimes, their impact in providing services to customers, the company internal support functions and its corporate development
- Supporting growth of new business opportunities by analyzing privacy implications of new products and services and providing guidance on minimizing privacy compliance risk
- Developing and conducting privacy impact and risk assessments
- Assisting with the management of the wider privacy team
- Regularly reviewing and evaluating compliance processes to guarantee best practice across all areas of the organisation ensuring appropriate monitoring and auditing processes are effectively implemented
What skills will I need to be successful in this role?
- Fluent in English, both verbally and in writing; other European language skills are desirable, in particular German, French or Dutch
- Ability to balance legal risks with commercial needs
- Excellent communicator and able to communicate effectively with people at all levels of our organisation and within our clients; both oral and in drafting
- Able to multitask with rapidly changing priorities and to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Flexible, strong and self-assured personality
- Experience to operate within an international environment with a diversity of cultures
- Possess analytical problem solving and project management skills
- Commercial "client first" mentality
The successful candidate will be a qualified lawyer with ideally at proven level of post-qualification experience in private practice or as in-house counsel, although candidates at all levels of experience with demonstrable ability to fill the role will of course be considered. Civil-law trained lawyers are preferred.
Extensive data privacy knowledge and experience is essential both in terms of statutory/regulatory compliance (in particular European privacy laws), process and a commercial attitude; an interest in the technology industry and familiarity with cloud services is highly desirable.
CIPP/CIPM certification (or equivalent) would be desirable but is not essential.
Cognizant (NASDAQ: CTSH) is a leading provider of information technology, consulting, and business process outsourcing services, dedicated to helping the world's leading companies build stronger businesses. Headquartered in Teaneck, New Jersey (U.S.), Cognizant combines a passion for client satisfaction, technology innovation, deep industry and business process expertise, and a global, collaborative workforce that embodies the future of work. With over 100 development and delivery centers worldwide and approximately 255,800 employees as of September 30, 2016, Cognizant is a member of the NASDAQ-100, the S&P 500, the Forbes Global 2000, and the Fortune 500 and is ranked among the top performing and fastest growing companies in the world. Visit us online at http://www.cognizant.com/ or follow us on Twitter: Cognizant.